Monday, January 7, 2008

Why block scheduling should be abolished

I am currently waiting for the cats I agreed to babysit to arrive (now 40 minutes late...), so I am going to update/rant.

So as I may have mentioned the semester ends next Friday (the 18th). This will end "1 years worth" of class for my 10th graders and 1 semester for my 9th. Unfortunately, this is a load of horse manure, they have received far less than that. For one, if they miss one day of class then they have basically missed 2 days because they miss one block class. Therefore it is a lot easier for students to fail a single class, just missing a week and a half is enough because you end up missing a lot of class time and fall very far behind.

Apparently there are "studies" that prove that block scheduling is more effective than regular scheduling. But I would like to see these so called studies. The only things I can think of are that you get more class time per class (80 minutes every day of the week) and the kids have fewer classes to juggle at a time.

But what if you want to read a book or two in your history class? You basically have half the time to do it outside of class than you would regularly because you have 20 weeks to complete a full 40 weeks of material. So that severely cuts down on the amount of homework you can give. You have to do fewer projects as well, doing a lot of the work in class.

The biggest problem though is continuity. When my kids leave after next week I won't get them back until the following year to continue from where we left off. Now how much history will they remember going in to the next year? Even if I did my job, the answer will be very little. And frankly, who can blame them? I have trouble keeping information in my head, let alone stuff that I may not be enthralled with. But it isn't as big a deal in history as it is in say MATH and science. I mean who can keep math equations in their head 6-8 months and then be expected to just move forward? It is ridiculous! Students can't reasonably be expected to practice for 4 months what they should be doing year round. Basically it provides a very incongruous experience for the kids and I honestly think it just doesn't work.

Now I do like having 80 minute classes, since that's how I've been taught. And I would have to learn how to create a 50 minute lessons if we changed. BUT I think there is a way to maintain a combination of year round schooling and block scheduling. This is what I had in high school and I think it worked rather well. Basically you have a "modified" block schedule. This can be done in a number of ways but the way my high school did it was to have regular 55 minute periods Mon, Tues, and Fri. Then on Wed. and Thurs. you would have 90 minute periods. So on Wed. you would go to period 1, 3 and 5 and on Thurs. you would go to 2, 4, and 6. This worked rather well, and I think you could modify it even more to accommodate the 8 period schedule. This way science classes can still have labs, you can have longer periods once a week, but not every day. Thus having year round classes.

In the end I don't know if I could teach long term in block scheduling, but its fine for now. I just seriously think if DC wants to improve its test scores and long term viability it will have to ditch this block program. Block may work in other areas, but it doesn't work in DC, not at all.

No comments: