Sunday, January 20, 2008

Oh Grace... Man I love dogs

I just uploaded my photos from this summer and I found a picture of little Gracie. Look at this adorable dog. This is Grace. She belongs to my old roommate Allison. Allison bought Grace while I was living with her over the summer. Grace is an awesome dog, I visit her and her big sister Sophie sometimes. But look how cute she is! She's barely grown over the past 6 months, maybe she'll be one of those rare dogs that stays a puppy forever!

On that note, I've been planning to get a dog (and possibly even 2). The idea is to get one this June and train it over the summer when I have a lot of time on my hands. I really really want a dog even though I like the cats that I am taking care of right now (they're going back to their owner in a week or two). But in the end, I really am a dog person. I need an animal that will love me at all times and let me pick it up and hug it, and not just when it feels like it haha. I also really like taking dogs for walks, and in DC it seems like dogs tend to be a great way to get to know other people! (Everyone seems to have a little dog they take on walkies around the neighborhood.)

I'm looking at several different breeds (I know this might surprise some people who would assume that I would just buy a dachshund... and yes, they are most definitely on the list!)

So here are my thoughts so far (in no particular order):
  • Daschunds
  • Cairn Terriers
  • West Highland Terriers
  • Welsh Terriers (Or maybe Lakeland Terriers... unsure which one I like better)
  • Yorkshire Terrier
  • Pomeranian
  • And maybe even a Wishbone dog (though apparently they are hyper as all get out, and that might be bad for the apartment haha)
I'm beginning to think I may even get 2 if possible because I want them to have a friend when I do start working again in the fall. I have to keep it small because the apartment is not that big and I don't want a dog that will be sad because it is cooped up during the day. I have looked into getting a rescued dog or a dog from the pound, but finding a small dog in that category seems hard. I will have to research breeds and breeders this spring and then look at "reserving" a dog around then so that I can buy it and then actually take it home in June when it is a few months old. How exciting!

Oh and I posted some pictures on my dad's .mac page if you would like to see them (they're also posted on facebook I think.) Here's the link: http://web.mac.com/charlesfuchs/iWeb/Site/DC%20Website%20Photos.html

No comments: