Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mission Affirmed

A student randomly came up to me in the hall who hasn't had me as a teacher all this year and told me that she thinks I am one of the best teachers in the school on the grounds that she always sees me standing and walking around the room, that I always seem to be teaching, and that she remembers she learned a lot in my class last year.

While this was a very kind sentiment there is the dark flipside which is: if that is all it takes to be the best teacher in the school, then what aren't the other teachers doing?!  I mean after she told me that she basically said "you aren't like those other teachers who always sit behind their desks and give out work in the first 5 minutes" and then pointed at a certain english teacher's classroom.

This just reaffirms the reason I have to talk to Ms. Rhee and try and work something out here.  Our teachers are flat out lazy, and it is killing this school and making it a place that students don't want to be in.  If I am the 'best' teacher (and while I think I do a good job and try pretty hard there is no way I should be considered a 'best,' especially since she had me last year when I was even worse than this year) that says way more about the other teachers then it does about me.  So thank you my dear, you have convinced me that my cause is righteous and I will fight for you until I can't fight any more.

(Now what I have to do is see if I can get some students to fight for themselves.  Admittedly it is hard when one does not know how to change people who have such authority.)

No comments: