Thursday, April 9, 2009

Beginning to lose it

Thank goodness we have a FOUR DAY WEEKEND that starts tomorrow!

Today I managed to wake up at 7:50 AM (2.5 hours later than normal) which already wasn't good since we're supposed to be at work by 8.  So I called the director and informed her that I would be on time for class, but not any morning meetings.  I got to school by 8:30 (I am that good).  Kids were normal.

Then during 3rd period the fire alarm goes off - apparently a kid pulled it and an announcement was made for us to stay in the classrooms.  So we sit in the classroom and continue to work, being blasted by this fire alarm for a good 20-30 minutes (or at least that is what it seemed like).  It went off for a few minutes and then came back.  I was really beginning to lose it when that happened, the sound is just so awful and it just keeps going and there is nothing you can do but sit there and try to survive the high pitched jarring sound.

Then about 15-20 minutes into 4th period the fire alarm goes off again!  But this time the announcement tells us to evacuate.  When we get outside I have to corral the students onto the basketball court, which is no easy feat, by threatening them with suspensions.  I acutally ended up getting 100% of my students to not leave the school grounds.  I then met up with some of the other teachers and we proceeded to find out that the banner wishing the 10th graders luck on the DC-CAS on the opposite side of the building from me (where I teach Saturday School) was lit on fire on both sides and there was also an even more severe closet fire somewhere near the gym.  So 2 fires.  We stayed outside in the sun until 3:15 when the kids were released.  Also my fellow teacher (and rockstar) managed to pick up the fire marshal.  Oh yeah, she's that good.

Anyways it is very difficult to get anything done when this keeps happening.  I can't believe we are returning to this kind of insanity after holding it at bay for so long.  Stupid spring, the minute the weather even looks like it is improving the kids go insane.  Well actually that isn't quite fair, a few kids go insane and spoil it for the rest of us.

No comments: